Educational development in the live theatre arts is one of the main components of TAG’s mission. In keeping with this mission, TAG has created a scholarship fund to assist area high school seniors in pursuing higher education. Every spring, TAG solicits scholarship applications from graduating seniors in the metropolitan area planning to pursue at least a minor in one of the theatre arts at a college, university, or approved school of drama.
The TAG scholarship program is funded almost exclusively through private contributions and donations at TAG Night Out preview performances throughout the year. Since the program’s inception, TAG has awarded more than $50,000 in scholarships to deserving area students. Many of the scholarship recipients are working in the theatre arts today. Notable past recipients include Andrew Rannels, Tony-nominated star of Broadway’s The Book of Mormon and a recurring character on the HBO Series Girls, Leisha Hailey, a series regular on Showtime’s The L Word and frequent guest star on various television series, and “Q” Smith of the Broadway and national touring productions of Mary Poppins.
2017 THEATRE ARTS GUILD SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS
- James Austed – Central High School – Stage Management
- Miram Cortes – Millard South High School – Costume Design
- Matthew Hansen – Papillion-LaVista High School South – Musical Theatre
- Justice Jones – Millard North High School – Acting
- Jimmy Nguyen – Bellevue West High School – Musical Theatre/Education
- Nadia Williams – Burke High School – Musical Theatre