The Theatre Arts Guild, Inc. (TAG) is pleased to announce that it will once again be awarding at least $3000 in scholarships to area students planning to pursue the study of theatre arts at a college, university, or performing arts school.
Educational development in the live theatre arts is one of the main components of TAG’s mission. In keeping with this mission, TAG has created a scholarship fund to assist area high school seniors in pursuing higher education. Every spring, TAG solicits scholarship applications from graduating seniors in the metropolitan area planning to pursue at least a minor in one of the theatre arts at a college, university, or approved school of drama.
The TAG scholarship program is funded almost exclusively through private contributions and donations at TAG Night Out preview performances throughout the year. Since the program’s inception, TAG has awarded more than $50,000 in scholarships to deserving area students. Many of the scholarship recipients are working in the theatre arts today. Notable past recipients include Andrew Rannels, Tony-nominated star of Broadway’s “The Book of Mormon” and “Falsetto’s” and a recurring character on the HBO Series “Girls”; Leisha Hailey, a series regular on Showtime’s “The L Word” and frequent guest star on various television series; Q. Smith of the Tony-nominated Broadway show “Come From Away” and a featured role in the national touring production of “Mary Poppins”; and Noah Diaz, who is currently studying playwrighting at the Yale School of Drama.
The application process for 2019 is now closed.
Please contact scholarship@theatreartsguild.
com if you have any questions.
REQUIREMENTS To be considered, an applicant for the TAG scholarship must be:
1. A resident of the Omaha Metropolitan Area (within a 50-mile radius of Omaha)
2. A graduating senior at a high school or GED program
3. Planning to pursue a degree in theatre arts (acting, dance, voice, direction, design, broadcasting, theatre management, technical design, etc.) at a college, university, or accredited school of drama
CLICK HERE TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION
1. A member of the scholarship committee will contact you with the full application forms and instructions
2. Applications must be received by February 1, 2019 at 11:59 pm
3. Applicants will be contacted in early February to schedule an interview or audition, which will take place by appointment only on the morning of Saturday, February 23 at the Omaha Community Playhouse (6915 Cass Street)
4. Winners will be notified and announced in late March
2018 THEATRE ARTS GUILD SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS
- Carl Bieber – Burke High School
- Abby Cameron – Westside High School
- Molly Fryda – Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart
- Sierra Lancaster – Millard North High School
- Maggie Smith – Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart
- Mia Sherlock – Burke High School
- Joy Weidenhamer – Millard South High School