The Theatre Arts Guild, Inc. (TAG) is pleased to announce that it will once again be awarding at least $3,000 in scholarships to area students planning to pursue the study of theatre arts at a college, university, or performing arts school.
Educational development in the live theatre arts is one of the main components of TAG’s mission. In keeping with this mission, TAG has created a scholarship fund to assist area high school seniors in pursuing higher education. Every spring, TAG solicits scholarship applications from graduating seniors in the metropolitan area planning to pursue at least a minor in one of the theatre arts at a college, university, or approved school of drama.
The TAG scholarship program is funded almost exclusively through private contributions and donations at TAG Night Out preview performances throughout the year. Since the program’s inception, TAG has awarded more than $60,000 in scholarships to deserving area students. Many of the scholarship recipients are working in the theatre arts today.
TAG Scholarship winners have gone on to make TAG and the Omaha metro proud. Those making a splash on the national scene include:
– Andrew Rannells – Tony-nominated and Grammy winner of Broadway’s The Book of Mormon, star of The New Normal and Black Monday, a recurring character on the HBO Series Girls, a voice actor, and a published author.
– Leisha Hailey – was a series regular on Showtime’s The L Word and frequent guest star on various television series.
-“Q” Smith – appeared on Broadway and in the national touring productions of Mary Poppins and Come From Away
– Terra Gillespie – who has worked in the development offices of Lincoln Center and the National Theatre in London.
Other past scholarship winners are making their contributions across the country and right here at home in ways you’ll probably recognize:
-Brendan Buchanan – 1993 TAG Scholarship Winner – Owner, Executive Director of BravO! National Dance & Talent Competition
-Eric Potter – 1994 TAG Scholarship Winner – Equity Actor, Off-Broadway, Regional
-Robby Valenta – 1997 TAG Scholarship Winner – Equity actor, Walt Disney Entertainment at Walt Disney World
-Matthew Bross – 1998 TAG Scholarship Winner – Video Production, OCP’s Wizard of Oz and Having Our Say
-Ben Beck – 2001 TAG Scholarship Winner – Actor, Director, and Playwright
-Spencer Williams – 2002 TAG Scholarship Winner – Actor, Independent Filmmaker
-Tom Bertino, Jr. – 2003 Scholarship Winner – IATSE Journeyman, Book of Mormon Tour
-Christopher Violet – 2004 Scholarship winner – Equity actor, regional theatre
-Noah Diaz – 2011 TAG Scholarship Winner – Actor, former TAG Board Member, and currently studying playwrighting at the Yale School of Drama.
2019 THEATRE ARTS GUILD SCHOLARSHIP
- Raymond Butler – Omaha Benson High School
- Jamie Gould – Omaha Burke High School
- Tanner Langemeier – Bishop Neumann High School
- Jaiden Lindsey – Omaha Burke High School
- Boston Reid – Omaha Burke High School
- Katherine Sloup – Daniel J. Gross High School
The application process for 2020 is now closed.
Please contact scholarship@theatreartsguild.
Winners will be notified and announced in late April